Sunday, May 4, 2008

Presenting the Charlie Hustle Award

When I first started this baseball blog, I wasn't sure what tone or direction it would take. Heck, I didn't even know if anybody would read it. However, as this blog enters its second month, I've already been more than pleased with the baseball discussions that I've had with people here online as well as offline. It's been a fun start to the season.

So in the spirit of being inclusive, and in building confidence in others, I've decided that it's time this blog start giving public recognition to its readers. Yes, I'm talking about an award.

A prestigious award, of course.

Now, I'm sure the last thing you expected when you went to check this blog today was a prestigious award ceremony. However, just like in baseball, with this blog you've got to be ready at all times. (I hope you're dressed for the occasion.)

So, without further ado, the My Baseball Fantasy blog presents "The Charlie Hustle Award."


This award is given to a reader who demonstrates an obsessive passion for baseball at all times--even at times when he or she probably shouldn't. Much the same way that Pete Rose (a.k.a. "Charlie Hustle") bulldozed Ray Fosse at home plate in the supposedly just-for-fun 1970 All-Star Game, the Charlie Hustle Award Winner goes all out all the time for all things baseball. And like Charlie Hustle himself, makes no apologies for it.

I had a very difficult task in choosing who would win the first ever Charlie Hustle Award on this blog. There were many qualified candidates and, in their own way, they are all winners. However, as with any prestigious award, there can only be one winner at a time; and, after carefully reviewing all of the nominees, one did start to stand out.

I had known for quite a while that my co-worker Paul was a baseball fan. However, it wasn't until this season that I realized just how passionate he is for both the MLB and fantasy baseball. Whether he's laughing his way to the bank in Vegas betting against over-the-hill pitchers, boasting about ripping somebody off in a trade, telling me about obscure sites to read for extra baseball knowledge, or spending all of his fantasy basketball winnings to pay $120 for MLB.com's online TV coverage complete with 6 window screens at once with audio alerts for whenever one of his fantasy players is coming to the plate, Paul (a.k.a. "Pauly") has continued to demonstrate an unparalleled commitment to "America's Pastime."

There isn't a plaque or prize money to go with this award. Heck, I don't even have a paper certificate for you. But Pauly, just know that this honor will be enshrined forever on this blog, and nobody can ever take it from you.

Congratulations to today's Charlie Hustle Award Winner... Pauly!

4 comments:

Pauly said...

Thanks for the honor. I will cherish it forever-- however, wow you make me sound like a geek! I'm not that bad!!!

clauff said...

So, when does the Charlie Hustle Award winner, "Pauly" join the UPL family? We could use even more competition in our leagues.

Greg McConnell said...

See Paul, you win one award and now you're a marked man...

Chairman said...

C-Lauff. What is this "competition" that I keep hearing about? I think that it would be great if you could give me some, even a little, just so I could sample it.