Saturday, March 6, 2010

McGwire Changes Tune, Glad Brother Gave Gory Details About His Illegal Steroid Use

It's been a roller coaster year for Mark McGwire. From his much-hyped steroid admission to his hiring as Cardinals hitting coach to his brother Jay's new book about his shameful yet juicy past, McGwire has already had his share of ups and downs in 2010.

"It was tough enough dealing with the lies of Jose Canseco, the Mitchell Report, and the media," said McGwire last week. "But the toughest was when I heard my own brother was stepping forward with a fresh set of lies. At least with the other liars I could say, 'They don't know me.' Or I could claim to remain silent in an effort to protect my family. But when the charges are coming from your own brother, these formerly solid defenses start to break down." 

However, after finally getting a chance to read his brother's book this week, McGwire has changed his tune. "It's surprisinlgy accurate," admits the former slugger, now 46. "Jay was able to go into all the gory and embarrassing details of my illegal steroid use as though he were actually there or something. And as I read all of his accounts about my odd personality and character shortcomings, I kept saying to myself, 'That's totally me.'"

McGwire is happy for his brother and wishes him well with the book's sales. "I'm so proud when I look at this book and see his name, Jay McGwire, in big letters on the front cover as the author. I remember back in high school Jay was terrible in English class. It's pretty amazing that he was able to come out of nowhere and successfully write a book without any outside, performance-enhancing help."

No comments: